Capel Manor Primary School
London Borough of Enfield
Capel Manor Primary School, Enfield was a one form entry school located on a large open site, which was underused because it was too large for the school to adequately supervise.
The project doubled the size of the school, to become a two form entry school. A new curved extension was developed to the rear of the existing single storey buildings to provide the majority of the new accommodation . Smaller extensions at the front of the existing buildings provide further teaching accommodation, new offices, new studio and a new welcoming entrance. Specialist ICT, design and food science and library facilities are provided. The school playground was moved further into the site, away from the traffic on the adjacent busy road.
The curved block has large areas of glazing which looks out over the site. Large overhanging roofs and a brise-soleil provide solar shading to minimise solar gain and a glazed canopy incorporating PV cells provides sheltered play and some solar shading to existing classrooms, This also provides 20% of the new builds energy needs.
The work comprised:-
– New Block – To include 8 Classrooms
– Modifications to staff room, food/science classroom, and reception classrooms.
– Reconfiguration of classrooms etc. to form new Entrance area/ Offices, etc.
– New small hall and reception.
– Extension to main hall
– Kitchen extension and remodelling
– External Works – including new playground.
Stages A – L